Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Garden Beauty Inside & Out At Action Chapter Party


By Linda Adams, FNGLA COO

The one downside of trying to get to lots of chapter meetings in a single month is some of the chapters share the same meeting dates. I loved going to the Manasota Chapter party, but was disappointed that I missed the Northeast Chapter party the same night. Maybe someone from Northeast will post some comments about their party.
The 2nd Tuesday of the month is a popular chapter meeting date. It is shared by Frontrunners, Highland Heartland and Action.

I was torn which to attend, but when I heard Action Chapter was having its party at Harry P. Leu Gardens in Orlando, I couldn’t resist enjoying some Christmas cheer in one of my favorite gardens. In addition, my dear friend and mentor, Katy Moss Warner, (see above with Wayne McKay and me) was planning to be at the party and I didn’t want to miss seeing her while she was in town. Some of you may remember Katy from her days as director of horticulture at Walt Disney World or president of the American Horticulture Society. She’s a dynamo!

Anyone who arrived early (before dark) had a chance to walk through and admire the garden. With this being a local meeting for me and other FNGLA staffers, 3 of my work buddies attended – Amy Dibella, Toni Wise, and Merry Mott. This was Amy’s first visit to Leu Gardens and she was very excited! Carolan and Mr. Carolan (Dennis) Mahr made this one of their party stops as well, and like Amy, this was their first time to Leu. Off we went to see the camellias Leu Gardens is famous for, as well as Florida Garden Select (formerly known as Florida Plants of the Year) plants, the outdoor living garden and the original Leu House, all decorated for the holidays.

While we were walking in the garden the chapter elves were busy decorating the meeting rooms with suitable industry décor – green foliage and red poinsettias around the room. Groupings of poinsettias and garland created centerpieces and ornaments were scattered on the tables. It really was one of the most festive rooms I had seen yet!

The party started with an excellent singer/guitarist who entertained us with Jimmy Buffet-style music. Chapter President Glenn Barnes got things going right on time
which we appreciated as we were all ready to dig into the buffet. I don’t know how many people were in attendance, but it was a large room and a full house. There was a table to the side filled with toys members had brought which were being donated to the local Loaves & Fishes charity.

Robert Bowden, director of Harry P. Leu Gardens and an active member of FNGLA, was asked to speak about the gardens. He took the opportunity to thank industry members for their generosity and support over the years as they’ve improved and expanded the gardens.

Robert told a great story of travelling to an FNGLA member’s business to get some plants. Realizing he wasn’t going to get there until well after the nursery was closed, Robert called the owner to say he’d have to come back another time. The owner told him that wasn’t necessary. Although he couldn’t stay to let Robert in, he gave Robert the code to the security alarm and told him to go in and take what he needed. While some would think that was a rare incident, to me it is another example of not only the generosity this industry is known for, but the genuine fellowship between plant people! And, if you’ve seen Robert, you have to admit, he does have a very honest face!


The evening ended as most Action Chapter meetings end – with a fast and fun raffle! Action Chapter Board member Doug Reichwein is a very entertaining raffleer. There were lots of great prizes and plants being raffled. Unfortunately, once again, I was unlucky for myself, but was checking Doug's tickets for him while he helped with the raffle items and he had a winning ticket! I tried to claim the prize for myself, but since it was $100 of nursery operations consulting fees (something I can’t use since I don’t own a nursery) I decided to be a gracious loser and let Doug claim his rightful prize. Maybe I'll be a winner at the next party!

No comments:

Post a Comment